614Mike - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
My name is 614Mike, I’m an artist from the 614, Columbus, Ohio.
2. What made you start making music? I’ve been making music since the sixth grade. I remember my friends are making beats on some online website and I thought it looked cool. I just followed them and made my first beat, which was trash, but I loved it so much that I never stopped.
3. Who are your influences in rap? I have a lot, but the main ones are Kanye West, Travis Scott, JuiceWrld, and Xxxtentaction.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now? I’ll be honest, I don’t pay attention to the underground scene as much as I used to, but it’s a really good place to start because you have a lot more freedom in creativity and that’s where you find the core, die-hard fans at.
5. As an artist who has to compete with thousands of others for streams/plays, what makes your music worth people clicking on? I offer a unique perspective and approach to music. I let my creativity lead the way. I’m very good at experimenting, yet simultaneously maintaining a popular, well-beloved sound. Also, I make music that’s very relatable and digestible for everybody.
6. You have 1 person to thank, who would it be? This is funny, but my ex-girlfriend’s mom. She was one of the first people to tell me that she believed in me and believed that I can make it at a time where not too many people did. Ever since then, I really took the music thing to another level. One reason I work as hard as I do is so I can prove her right and make her proud.
7. What is your process for recording music ? For a long time, I get in a dark room with dim lights, smoke, and let whatever came to me come to me, but now I’ve reached the point where I don’t need any drugs or any certain mood to make music. I can do it all naturally, any time and any place, no matter what the mood.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for this year? Lots and lots of music. I have a single coming out January 21 called “Feeling A Way” which I’m very excited about. I have a lot of beats and instrumentals that I plan on putting out. I’ve been loading up the vault for a while so expect a big year from me in terms of releases.
9. What keeps you motivated and on path towards your goals for music? My vision keeps me motivated. My dream is to get my family out of our current situation and into a better one. Ultimately I want to be able to support my family by doing what I love most, which is making music.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world? I want to be remembered as someone who wasn’t afraid to take creative risks; someone who brought in a new style or gamelan, and because of it, influenced a whole new generation of musicians.
11. What's your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer? My “Ur Man” remix I did with an artist named London. That was my first single. I didn’t make the original beat, but I was able to make a remix version of it, engineered my part, along with writing and performing it. It really challenged me as an artist and for what it turned out to be so early in my career, I’m proud of it.
12. Who does all of your cover art or do you make your own? I make all my own cover art. Like I said I want to be a great overall artists, so that goes for the musical aspect, along with the visual aspect. I am open to using other artist’s artwork, but I feel like I capture the picture of my sound the best.
13. Who makes most of your beats or production? It usually switches. I like to put other people on too, so I like using other people’s beats, but I always end up making changes to them to suit my liking. Other times, I’ll use my own, but to be honest, I’m not a fan of my own beats. Other people like them though, so that’s cool with me.
14. What can we expect next from you in 2022? A lot of new music, possibly a project, and overall growth from an artist standpoint. By the end of the year, I want to be a well-rounded, better polished artist as a whole and I plan on taking everyone along on that journey with me.
15. Link the fans to your Twitter & Instagram @ Below so they can follow you! Instagram: @614mike_ YouTube/SoundCloud/Spotify/Apple Music: 614Mike Twitter: 614Mike