AKATSUKI - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
AKATSUKI, and I'm based in North Hollywood, CA right now.
2. What made you start making music?
I've always fucked around with creating music by myself, but never releasing it. One day, in college, had a shitty day, decided to record as usual, but this time I really fucked with what I had, and that's how "Bedroom Mist" came to life.
3. Who are your influences?
Right now, I've been fucking a lot with Grimes, Orville Peck, 100gecs, BENEE and Jean Dawson.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
Saturated, as it has been in the past years, but at the moment, I feel people are investing more time and thought into their work, so even though there is way more music available, there is an increase in quality.
5. What are your goals for 2020 regarding music?
To be heard.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
Paul Araujo. This man has invested a lot of time and his own gear into helping me with my projects. Grateful to have such a good homie in my life. From cleaning the bad energies from house to ahooting the dopest music video I have to date, "Dobermann"!
7. What is your process for recording music?
Usually I'm by my own, or recording with a friend, Nigeria Thomas. I prefer to record when I'm high, but there are situations in which I can't be. I prefer writing the tracks while I'm producing the instrumentals, but I got a bunch saved on my phone in case my recording time is shorter.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
From December 21, until January 20, I'm gonna release a track a day under the CXNDOM collective, to celebrate Capricorn Season, which is the season I was born. On the last day, all the songs are going to be compiled into the "Capricorn Season" record.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
I have the ability to lay down everything I was feeling at that moment and remember for the rest of my life (if I release it hahaha).
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I just want to have a happy and positive life and provide the same for the ones who are looking for it. I know, it's sounds too simple, but that's my goal at the moment.
11. What are your ambitions with music? Is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
Music is my everything. I wish I could say it was a full blown 24/7 lifestyle, but your boy still dayjobs for rent.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
Jean Dawson. "Bull Fighter" was the song I heard the most last year, and his debut project "Bad Sports", the album that I've probably bumped the most this year. His artistry is unmatched. The way he contrasts strings and voice distortion is gorgeous.
13. What does the music you create make you feel?
14. Why is music so important and dear to your heart?
Is what consistently I had the most in my life, music. Since my first memories til today, there's always music in some way around me.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
It was the recording of the visuals for "Dobermann". Paul Araujo and I decided to hang out around town and take some shots. By the end of the night, we had a music video and a lot of fun.
17. Who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I make all my cover art at the moment. But my past tracks feature work by Alise Blūma, Jessica Yoon Ji Chung, Axel Trapaga and Sara Trapaga.
18. Who makes most of your beats or production?
Me, but shoutout to Yazz Ashin, Zeeky Beats, Angelvs, COUNT and Riddiman for helping me while I didn't know how to do my own shit.
19. Who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
Jazmin Bean, because she is the baddest of all time. Her art is mind blowing and unapologetic.
20. Who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Grimes. I want to know how can I touch one's soul using only music.
21. Do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months?
Planning to do a joint concert with Sleazy Pete in early 2020!
22. For people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
My foot size is 13.
23. At the end of the day what does music mean to you?
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up?
"Capricorn Season" starts December 21!
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?