Big Jae Gutsy - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
My name is Big Jae Gutsy I’m out here in Edinburgh, Scotland, but born and raised in Nigeria, West Africa
2. What made you start making music?
My first influence as a child was Another Bad Creation. The song “playground” what made me fall in love with music and when the Chronic and Doggystyle album dropped that was when I started learning about music and the structure and then I got my hands on Wu Tang Clan Enter the 36 Chambers and that’s where the creation of the monster began.
3. Who are your influences in rap?
Jay-Z, Ghostface Killa, Scarface, Biggie and Mase
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
It’s the only scene where you don’t follow trends and where real music from the heart lives and not just music for trends even tho we try to put some commercial stuff but creative control is on things the underground rap scene is flourishing with at the moment. The originality missing in the rap scene.
5. As an artist who has to compete with thousands of others for streams/plays, what makes your music worth people clicking on?
I write from my heart and I don’t copy anybody’s. I don’t follow trends, I am versatile and believe my music and style is one of one cos I’m not trying to be anyone else or write about anyone else plus u also believe in the art of story telling which is something I would say heavily influences my style.
6. You have 1 person to thank, who would it be?
That’s a tough one cos there’s 3 people so I’d go for my mother who I stole money from her purse just to buy bootleg rap CDs every Tuesday growing up. She knew I was taking the money but never complained or say a word about it.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
I record myself so my process is let the beat play, come up with the verses first and once all verses are laid I do the hook and then adlibs.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for this year?
I just dropped an EP “Matrix” available on Apple, Spotify and YouTube. More music coming this year. Check my socials for updates.
9. What keeps you motivated and on path towards your goals for music?
Knowing that it’s the only thing that makes me happy and what I’m good at and how I deal with personal issues and my love for the rap game. Since a child it’s the one dream I’ve always had.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I want to be that rapper that touches souls and be an inspiration and be that rapper that never hesitated to help upcoming be it by retweeting their music or co-signing them cos that’s something underground emcees don’t get from major I think they are scared and so they wanna just keep you out the way cos they spot would be in danger if they let you in. But I win by helping the next man win that’s my philosophy.
11. What's your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
I would say it’s my song “Fact” with the dude that pushed me into making music “Tintin”. That was one of them ones as that song came from my heart it’s the first time I put my emotions on a song.
12. Who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I do my own cover art but might have to let my lil bro do it cos he nice on stuff like that.
13. Who makes most of your beats or production?
Most of my beats if not all are self made
14. What can we expect next from you in 2022?
A lot of music it’s gonna be a musical tsunami.
15. Link the fans to your Twitter & Instagram @ Below so they can follow you!