BONI - Interview
1. Tell us your producer name and where are you from?
My name is BONI and I'm from Pretoria, currently living in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
2. What made you start making music?
My older cousin inspired me. When I was little kid, I saw him DJ'ing and I that was really cool, so I wanted to do it too. But I wanted to do more than that. I wanted to create my own music.
3. Who are your influences?
MashBeatz, Wichi 1080, Gravez, WondaGurl, Murdabeatz. A bit of Yugi Boi, DILIP and DJ Yung Vamp too.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
I love the raw sound. They're not afraid of saying what they want to say. It's really dope how they execute it. Everyone has a story to tell, and I think underground rappers are the best storytellers. I feel like the public should appreciate the underground rap scene more.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
Try and expand my brand as a producer, and work with more dope artists.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
My grandfather. He taught me a lot things and he still does. I'm grateful for having him in my life.
7. What is your process of making a beat?
I would start off by digging for samples and chop them or I would make a melody so that I can have a better work flow to make a dope beat. After that I work on the drums and the 808. I try to make sure that sounds I use complements each other.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
I got a new single coming out in December, it's called Nyctophilia featuring MECCA and Pager. It's by far one of the best songs I've produced. I'm also helping MECCA with his mixtape that's gonna drop sometime next year. It's gonna be the best thing ever and I enjoy being a part of it.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/rapper/producer?
Creating the music. I enjoy creating it because it can go in many different directions. You don't know where the beat would go, but when you find that one thing that sparks everything, it just leads you to creating the magic.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
Just be yourself. Don't change for anyone or anything, because at the end of the day, all you have is yourself. You just have to take care of yourself. And don't be afraid to take risks too, because it helps you grow. I feel like people are sometimes afraid to take risks, they would rather be on the safe side, I've been there. This makes them miss many opportunities and they may end up feeling regretful about it.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
I'm working towards it being a 24/7 lifestyle. I want it to be able to give me financial freedom, because it is what I do best. And I know it will work out!
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
There are a lot of them, but the one that stands out the most for me the most is A-Reece. I like the way he goes about doing things. He's very honest and his charisma is very intriguing.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
It's me rather putting my feelings into the music because that's what helps me create it. But it makes me feel super chilled, because I mostly make beats that are vibey and mellow, but it slaps hard for sure!
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart?
It's important because it's relatable. People can understand each other better because it's a universal language. You can understand what the person's feeling and what they're going through.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
I like to remind myself that I'm dope and there is no one like me, but I do have to be realistic about it. I tend to have expectations and I over think a lot which makes me lose hope. I just ask myself, "If people like your stuff, why are you throwing in the towel?"
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
I love working with my brother MECCA! We both know what we want. I would just pass him a beat and he'll know exactly what to do with. I sometimes worry that he wouldn't like the beat, so I would make a lot of changes to it. He just brings out the best in me. Together we're like Drake and Shebib. I love that dude!
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
My brother PK does all my cover art. He knows exactly what I want when I hit him up for one. The cover would suit the vibe of the beat perfectly. He's the best and I love him too!
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
I make own beats, lmao. But I am thinking of starting to rap on my own beats maybe, probably do some adlibs on other artists' tracks, I don't know yet.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
Lethabo Acid aka ACID vs ACID. I mean the dude is a rock star. He's just a whole vibe. His music is really awesome.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Definitely Wichi 1080! His sound is really crazy, diverse and out of this world. The sounds blend together very well. The way he masters his songs and beats give off this ridiculously great quality. He inspires me a lot.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
Nope. I don't do shows, yet...
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
The samples I use are dope. As I mentioned, most of my beats are mellow and I try to make them hit very hard. It also sounds somewhat nostalgic.
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
It's all about you showing the world what you got and as I said it's relatable. You can be inspired by anyone or anything. It doesn't matter if music is old or new, it's timeless.
24. Any projects you got coming up?
Other than working on MECCA's mixtape, I'm working on another EP of mine. I want this one to be better, because I didn't enjoy the last one. I was still finding my feet.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?