Cole Thorpe - Interview
1. Tell us your producer name and where are you from?
My name is Cole Thorpe, but I produce music under “shiy”. I am from Pleasantville, Iowa.
Pleasantville is small as fuck which made High Cchool miserable but shoutout Tory, Payton, and Jayden.
2. What made you start making music?
When I was really young like 8 or 9 I saw my uncle make beats and DJ a few times which was cool as hell, but I didn’t start working on my own shit until I was 14. Mac Miller’s mixtape Faces made me want to start making my own shit in a weird style though.
3. Who are your influences?
Knxwledge, Pete Rock, Mac Miller, Alchemist, and uncle Chris, to name a few.
4. What is your take on the underground scene right now?
I almost feel like the underground scene is becoming nonexistent, if anyone can put music on Spotify and Apple Music there’s a very fine line you from dudes with label deals. If you consistently release shit and stay connected with your listeners, shit will happen.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
All I wanted to this year was grow my online presence and release 3/4 projects I was really proud of. It’s been a weird ass year but I’ve made so much music it’s insane.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
7. What is your process for recording music ?
Most of my beats start by me finding a sample on a vinyl or YouTube playlist, tracking it into Ableton, chopping it up into 30,000 pieces, adding drums and effects, then fucking with it for two weeks until I feel like the world should hear it.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
Me and my homie Asa made a 19 track tape called STRANGE/VISIONS and it’s dropping November 15th. We tried to stray away from using hella samples and more piano. It’s beautiful.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
Sharing pieces of my creative brain with the rest of the world.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I want other people to realize that nothing else should matter except making cool shit, I make beat tapes and visuals all day just for the sake of making something. It’s super rewarding.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
Eventually I’ll be able to make art full time, but for now I’m working full time and making shit whenever I’m not at work.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
Honestly, Earl Sweatshirt.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
It makes me feel more important than just one person out of 8 billion. Anyone could’ve taken the time to make what I make but only I did. It’s even cooler that there are thousands of people who enjoy it.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
I think music is the only thing that everyone can relate on, people get so fuckin uptight about who they think they are. It’s all fun and games.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
Remembering that all it is is music, that’s all.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
The two pieces me and my good friend Asa Hatten have made together, Before Sweden and STRANGE/VISIONS. We work so well together the tracks come together like magic.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I’ve paid people and also done it myself. My favorite though has been the cover for Unwinder, which was done by Chris Hund. He’s the curator over at Paxico Records.
18. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
Thundercat. I want his vocals and bass playin on a track so fuckin bad.
19. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
I think me and Alchemist could make some wild shit together. We’ve got contrasting styles that are still similar in some parts.
20 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
Nah. Just a cool ass album.
21 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
I think growing up in a city of 1,000 and having barely any direct influence makes my music very unique. It’s almost
22 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
23. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?
I tweet bullshit all day, @shiybeats.
shiy.loop on Instagram
And shiy everywhere else