FINGO 33 - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
I go by FINGO 33 and i'm from Woodbridge, VA
2. What made you start making music?
I was always interested in audio when I was a child. In middle school I started going to my mans Hayes crib and all his brothers, cousins, and uncles would be recording. The whole family is musically inclined and I thought it was the coolest shit ever. Hayes actually was the one who taught me how to make beats in FL Studio, way before the YouTube days.
3. Who are your influences?
Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Nipsey Hussle, Pharrell, Andre 3000
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
I like it. Everyone's fairly cooperative and I feel like there's an underlying/unspoken theme that we all know we'll need each other, to uplift one another as artists.
5. What are your goals for 2020 regarding music?
Well in 2019 I took a Curren$y approach and dropped monthy mixtapes & Ep's, just to keep my name circulating and build my catalog. This year is more Drake inspired with taking the singles approach. Focus on each record individually and getting them spun in the proper places.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
He goes by the name of Frayz. Owner of Midi East Studios in Alexandria, VA. I work there as a producer/engineer and if it wasn't for this establishment I wouldn't be able to make majority of the amazing music I do.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
It's pretty simple. I don't like people in my space and there's only like two people I trust with getting my vocals recorded correctly so for the most part I record all my own music. Sometimes I come with something written, sometimes it's off the top.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
I'm getting ready to drop a new song with my guy P. Guapo pretty soon, produced by man mans BLACKSHEEP BEATS. So be on the lookout for that.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
Being able to get my creative expression out and seeing how it inspires/affects other individuals. Music is all about feeling and my job is to evoke emotion. If I haven't done that.. if I don't make you feel something, I've failed.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I just want to inspire people to be as creative as possible and let them know it's okay to do your own thing. You don't have to go with what everyone says because the majority says so. Go with your gut. Move how you feel is necessary. Individualism is everything.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
It's definitely a 24/7 thing. I work at a music studio so i'm around it and creating it all the time. I want to turn my vision into a whole planet.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
At the moment I'd have to say Smino. His bars are just way to smooth and his delivery goes crazy. Singing, rapping.. all that shit is just out of this world how he does it.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
It makes me feel whole. It makes me feel like I just had a healthy meal or just finished a mile run at 6am. Completion is what it feels like.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
As far as I know it runs in my family. My dad and his mother are really deep into choir and I just always liked the idea of putting words and sounds together. In a world where people are always trying to control you, that's the one thing you can have complete control over.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
Not even gonna lie, I'm not sure I fully understand this question.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
Any sessions I have with BLACKSHEEP, Zeni, or Hayes are always fluid and flawless. We always get something done and sometimes we don't even know where to start. We just tap in.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I make majority of my own covers. Sometimes I reach out to other artists on twitter but for the most part I like everything to be my personal expression.
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
Me, TheeZenith, BLACKSHEEP BEATS, Spacey, and Kyro are a few of my mains.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
I'd love to work with ScHoolboy Q. That nigga funny as hell and the energy he brings is unparalleled. I feel like I can really make some heat with the homie.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Pharrell. He's like my favorite person ever. I'd really love to learn some things from him.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
Nah, coronavirus got shit shut down down right now so I'm just focusing on creating my music indoors, marketing plans and such.
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
I really deliver. Everything I do is the highest of quality so when you tune into me you don't have to worry about listening to a song with a bad mix or supporting a sub-par artist.
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
Literally everything. I've tried other things in life like sports and trying to get into different career fields but nothing gives me the sense of purpose like creating music does.
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up?
I'm focusing on singles this year, no specific dates as of yet but I definitely got some shit on the way.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?
Twitter & IG: @digitalfingo
Facebook: Fingo San