Graxxian - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
I go by Graxxian with the xx pronounced as "see". I took up the name after reading "The Art of Wordly Wisdom" by Baltasar Gracián. His work inspired me to change my mindset. Im from the 301 DMV raised but i currently reside in south florida.
2. What made you start making music?
I realized that i had too much time on my hands so i wanted to pick up a new hobby that could stop me from constantly overthinking.
3. Who are your influences?
Since my dad is from North Jersey I grew up listening to mainly 90s NY and occasionally West Coast rap . Sometime around my teen years i started to listen to Alt rock etc. My main musical influences are 2pac, Nas, Nirvana, Don Mclean, XXXTENTACION, Big L, Sting, Bob Marley, Sam Cooke and Biggie.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
I never really cared about the underground scene overall i just mind my own business and focus on my music. However, I can say that the majority of the really talented artists that i have heard are underground artists because nothing is holding us back from being creative.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
2019 was me finding my strengths in music and 2020 will be me using those strengths to release my best work
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
Id have to thank myself for constantly pushing through adversity and being able to grow as person.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
Whenever my creativity hits ill start writing or typing lyrics. Normally ill be reading or listening to music and ill come up with an idea. Most of my verses are completed in around 20 minutes then ill go in and record immediately. Ill wait 2-3 days and listen to the song again to see if i still like how it sounds.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
As of now I am finishing up a dope collab project titled "ONE NATION" with artists and producers from all over. I also am working on my next solo project titled "The Culmination" which will be a part 2 of my project "The Commencement" dropping 2020.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
I enjoy being able to connect with people who listen to my music as it lets me know that i am not alone in this world people have similar thought patterns like mines.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I dont want people to remember me as a "Rapper" i want to be known as a Revolutionary. I Want people to remember me as a person who stood up for others when they couldnt themselves. The world needs someone who is willing to risk it all to catapult our society forward.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
As of now music is just a hobby but if i see more success in this ill most likely turn it into my lifestyle.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
My favorite artist alive right now is a split between Nas and Kendrick Lamar. I love how after all these years Nas still maintains that high level of lyricism like when he first started. I also like kendrick because he is able to make conscious music keeping hip hop alive and still remain on top which gives me motivation to keep doing me.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
I rarely go back and listen to my music because i dont like listening to myself. Only time i will is to see what i could improve more on as far as the mixing/mastering.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
Music is frequency and certain sounds can trigger different emotional responses so i know unlike the mainstream world that music is very serious and I want to make positive music that people can connect to. I make music to escape reality at times.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
No collaboration stands out. I simply enjoy working with other artists/producers.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
Normally ill make my own cover art but occasionally when i want something different that i cant make myself ill reach out to someone else.
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
Ill rap over anything that i think sounds dope and unique. If it sounds generic i wont use it
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
Id love to work with Kanye West because his creativity is out of this world.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
It would be dope to work with Dr.Dre especially after all the classics he has been apart of.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
As of now i dont plan on doing any shows.
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
I'm always thirsty for knowledge. I know that the younger people in todays society dont like to read or be forced to do anything as times have changed so what i do is i take what i learn and put it in my music. If anything one is guaranteed to at least learn something by listening to my music. I value education deeply and i know that schools dont teach us the right things to help us survive in this world.
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
Music is therapeutic for me. When i make music i let out those thoughts killing me inside.
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up?
"ONE NATION" will be dropping soon with over 20+ different artists and producers
Expect a Christmas or New years release.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?
My instagram and twitter handle is @graxxian.