Justwoz - Interview 38
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from? My rap name is Justwoz and i’m from Long Island, New York.
2. What made you start making music? I started writing music in seventh and eighth grade. I would write to Dilla beats in my room and just rap to myself. I just always wanted to make my own music ever since around that time.
3. Who are your influences in rap or beyond? Some of my main influence is east coast hip hop, I remember hearing certain Pro Era songs as a kid just made me want to make music myself. I also listened to the old stuff but listening to young up and coming guys made me know that it could be possible for myself.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now? I think the fact that everyone can create equally on their computers and share their talent through the internet is amazing. For that I would say the underground is thriving. The fact that so many different styles are meshed together and fan bases can be created is something that was a lot harder to do 20 years ago.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music? To step my game up in terms of visuals. I’ve only released 3 videos so far in my career and they all could be a lot better production wise. I’m confident in my sound musically and the projects that I’m planning to release this year are already coming together, I plan on putting a few singles out in February but I did just release a mixtape on January 4th called Away For Awhile.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be? I would thank my boy Finn who actually put me on to making beats. He’s one of my producers his name is 3rd Revolution but thats my brother outside the studio and back in the day when I was just writing music he taught me a bunch of stuff about DAWs and through him I started making my own beats.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
Normally I make the beat or if someone sends it to me I’m listening to the beat and then I just write lyrics on my notes app and get in the booth. I try not to overthink things, a lot of the times I have multiple versions of the same song because I change things around.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for? Check out Away For Awhile Out Now on all platforms. I just dropped that on January 4th at the top of the new year. But otherwise I have a project with 3rd Revolution coming in the spring and plenty of singles and videos aswell.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper? As an artist I love when people listen to my music and enjoy it, I also love performing my own material.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world? I want to be remembered.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying? It’s a lifestyle. No question about it.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why? Currensy. Because he’s so consistent and lowkey. He also drops music whenever he wants and its always fire. I also have to say even though its an unpopular opinion in 2018 Russ killed it.
13. What does the music you create make you feel? What I love about my music is it takes on whatever I am feeling at the time. I have songs that make me sad and songs that make me want to dance.
14. Why is music so important and dear to your heart ? It’s something that I have used as an outlet since I was a kid. Without it life wouldnt be the same.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)? I don't understand this question
16. Whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer? Working with Nyck Caution’s producer Trevor DeBlase is always a great experience, and I look at Trevor as a mentor and a friend. I’ve made some of my best music at his studio in Mill Basin.
17. Who does all of your cover art or do you make your own? My friend Oli does a lot of my cover art he did my most recent mixtape. But I also do a far share of my own.
18. Who makes most of your beats or production? Me and my homies.
19. Who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why? Kirk Knight. Because he’s an amazing artist and I think we could sound great on a project together.
20. Who is one producer you wish to work with and why? Harry Fraud. Bc he’s a New York legend.
21. Do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ? I actually have a show in Queens at Blackthorne 51 on February 17th.
22. For people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists? I would say my lyrics and my production. The style that i’ve created over the years is unique and people always respect it even if they don’t like it.
23. At the end of the day what does music mean to you ? Music means the world to me.
24. Does your family support you with music? Yeah.
25. At the end of the day when it comes to music we are in your world when listening to music by you...what type of vibe does your music bring ?
All different types of vibes depending on the mood I was in when I made the song. But every song I make is cohesive and solid and people who enjoy lyrics will love my vibe.