Koo Hefner - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from? My Rap name is Koo Hefner, but I go by many aliases some call me The Fifth, KootherVandross, or Hefner Koozumaki. I'm From Jersey City, New Jersey.
2. What made you start making music? The Drive to make music Came from my father, he was a big time DJ back in the day in New York and New Jersey. He taught me at a young age how to DJ & ultimately that turned into me becoming a Engineer and a Artist as well.
3. Who are your influences? One of my Major Influences is Lil Wayne, The way he revived rap with hits after hits, mixtapes after mixtapes, and GREAT quality studio albums when it was said to be dead will always be motivation in my book. My son has become a big influences on me as well, ever since he was born all he's seen me do is work hard on my music whether I'm mixing and mastering, writing or even recording, he's been there to remind me of why I continue to strive for greatness. Another one of my influences has been the members of the OtakuUnderWorld, they all work hard delivering quality music to our anime fans daily. With them around all I can do is push to make Hits!
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now? As of right now the Underground Rap scene honestly is where the true beauty in Hip Hop lies. Unlike mainstream Hip Hop the underground is saturated with a lot of Lyrical, Hungry, and Original artist.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music? By the end of 2019 I would like to have my 6th Album Complete so I can be ready to release it early 2020.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be? I would like to thank my business partner Christopher Price (PinkyPrice) for bringing me back from the dead back in 2015. I was certain that I didn’t want to be a Artist anymore after going through a bunch of legal issues with my prior label I signed to in California. He's the reason why I am back to make music at 100 MPH.
7. What is your process for recording music ? Surprisingly ALL of my recording is done at home. Usually during the day my kids are running wild in the house so I don’t start recording until they are tucked tight in bed. Once I'm officially ready I crack open a BudLight Lime (TheKooJuice) Turn on the beat & let my creative juices take control. In most cases I don’t write my music before I record I freestyle a bit until a get a concept locked in & then I build off of that until the song is complete.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for? The next MAJOR drop from me will be my "THC6:KootherVandross" album. Aside from that I try to drop at least a single every two weeks or a EP on my SoundCloud with my OtakuUnderWorld collective.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper? My favorite part about being a Artist is doing shows. I love the butterflies I get when I'm in front of a large crowd of people. I love seeing the reaction of the people at my shows once I start performing , & I love networking with the people at the venue.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world? I truly want to take the success of being a musician and create more jobs for the urban community, I want to build more affordable housing in urban areas, and supply the hood with more parks & activities to keep the youth out of the streets.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying? My little brother hits me this question all the time, Music is my life, I wont stop making music, nor will I stop chasing the dream. Call it a hobby, call it an addiction, call it what you want, I call it LIFE.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why? I honestly don’t have a favorite artist "in the game", but all the artist in the OtakuUnderWorld are my favorite and stay in HEAVY Rotation.
13. what does the music you create make you feel? Usually it makes me feel All types of ways. I make all different vibes of music, whether I'm talking about my struggles, turning up, falling in love, or falling out of love, so the mood varies on the Song honestly.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ? Music is so important to me because its an escape, it takes me away from stress, it makes me happy, and even when I'm feeling down it picks me up.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)? Just staying True to myself works best for me, as long as I'm not trying to be like anyone else or let anyone else's success affect me I cant be Stopped.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer? My best Collaboration experience was actually recently with one of my fellow OtakuUnderWorld members, DeltaDeez, we whipped up a 5 track Ep in a week Flat, & it was more fun than actual work to me.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own? I create all of my Cover Art, When I was about 15 I taught myself how to use Adobe Photoshop and since then just like the music I've been perfecting my style of art.
18. who makes most of your beats or production? My Producer List varies, but mainly, YungDza, SDotFire, J-Espi, Woodpecker,& HeavyKeyzz.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why? I'd definitely wanna work Tory Lanez, his creativity and Vocals are insane. It would be dope to cook up some work In the studio with him.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why? I gotta work with Honorable C-Note. He has some of the Coldest drum lines in my opinion.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ? I don’t have any upcoming shows anytime soon. Mainly because I'm focusing on completing my THC6 Album, but once its complete I'll more than likely be showing out in NY.
22 for people who haven't heard of you what sets you apart from other artists? My versatility is what sets me apart from other artist as well as my all around sound. A lot of people say that I am very animated in my music, down to my signature adlib "Eh-HEH".
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ? At the End Of the Day Music is Life to me, without music there will always be a void I have to fill.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you? If you are looking for my music or anything in regards to me I'm just a google search away. Just google "Koo Hefner" & all my information will pop up !