LeoTheKing - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
I'm Leo! Leo the King one day, I'm from all over Colorado.
2. What made you start making music?
It's one of those things that's always been transformative for me. I've been into art since a kid, but as I grew older and my friends started making music, I fell in love.
3. Who are your influences?
My influences are kind of all over the place. I have to thank Tyler the Creator for making me feel like any group of kids really can do this shit how they want, you know? I have to thank my bro Hologram Grady, I did my first song with him and it was low-key a banger, that showed me I really can do this. I listen to a lot of up and coming lyrical rappers like JID, earthgang, Denzel Curry, but I love anything with a good Melody or some soul in it too. I'm not too hard to please with good music.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
Honestly? I'm pretty detached. I see a lot of weird ego shit going on in the underground scene and I don't want to be a part of it. I'm making this music to reach people who think like me, and I don't see a lot of that in the underground. A lot of gatekeeping, blogs that have no audiences, cliques, I'm not fuckin with it. There are good people to meet everywhere but as far as the music scene goes, I'm not impressed.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
Reach. More. People.
6. You have 1 person to thank who Would it be?
Like I said in the earlier question it would have to be Hologram Grady. Him and his friends took me in and showed me how real brotherhood looks. Made me feel like I could succeed wherever I tried. Took me seriously as an artist before anyone else. That's something I will always be grateful for.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
I like to make my beats, I usually cater them towards a mood or a vibe, and write to that beat. I collect verses until I get or hear a beat that I am in love with, then the story unfolds on its own usually. My songs are combinations of old and new verses, freestyles, and random lines in my notes.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
Summer Chaser dropping any day now. That's the first song off my very first mixtape. Stay tuned with me I've got a lot of features coming too.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
Expression. I've got a lot of wild energy flowing through these veins, I don't think I could cope if I didn't have this form of expression. Drawing or painting or writing only goes so far, vocalization is powerful magic.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I want to be for the world what they need, but truly I am not doing this for the world. Most of the world has shown me bitterness and smothers passion with doubt and misunderstanding. I don't like to be negative, but there is strong negativity alive and well. If anything I just want to help people be aware of their energy and what their own impact is, through showing them my own studies and creations.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
I will never stop creating. Soon it will be my lifestyle, for now I have to do what I have to do to stay afloat. My ambition is to live off my creations, however money is only important to me as a key to freedom. Power and respect comes from within.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
It's hard but that's gonna have to go to earthgang. Nobody is doing it like them. So much knowledge, spirit, power in their words. Ancient teachings and fun modern bullshitting combined into one beautiful creation.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
Eager. I want to share these things beyond my current scope of influence.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
Much like I said before music is the most powerful form of magic I know of in the modern world. It is near and dear to my heart because it is an extension of my heart.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
I face no true obstacles. I know where I am destined to go, nothing will stop me, and nothing will kill that knowing. Too many good people died young before they had their chance. I'm doing this for all of us. No choice, no time to be held back.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
JA BURD. Skip this question just look up my mf bro.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I am a visual artist before rapper so I definitely make all my own art.
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
Nowadays it's a 50/50 split between me and ja burd. I make a shit ton of beats but I only use a few and burd got the hits.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
It's hard to say just one because I want to experience the magic of all those who inspire me equally. Everyone you walk into a room with carries different energy. It's impossible to choose just one.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Kenny beats!!! He is inspiring and versatile. I feel like I have a good chance of meeting lovely artists through him aswell.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ? No. I seldom perform.
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
It's all been said and done before. I'm just another young man trying to find his place in the world and trying to encourage others to do the same. I can't say I'm the best or the hardest or the realist cause that would make me just another one.
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
Music is magic.
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up? No schedules shows, and my mixtape is coming very soon. Stay tuned.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?Twitter @leothking Instagram @notzirt Leo the King on all Streaming services