Mister Buddha - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
My producer name is Mister Buddha, and I am from Seattle, Wa.
2. What made you start making music?
When I was about 16 a friend of mine showed me some electronic music he was making on his laptop. I was terrible at writing chords and shit, so I learned how to sample and chop songs to make something new. I’ve always just made stuff that sounds good to me, I don’t usually try to go for a certain style.
3. Who are your influences?
Some of my influences include DJ Smokey, Madlib, Journal, and DJ Yung Vamp. Overall though, DJ Screw has had a huge influence on my style, especially on how I do my vocal samples.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
There’s tons of new, fun stuff in the scene. People say the underground is dead, but they’re just not looking hard enough.
5. What are your goals for 2020 regarding music?
My main goal is to get some more rappers on my beats, and possibly collab with some producers as well.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
I'd like to thank my good homie Frwrd. He taught me so much about producing music, and he’s gotta be my biggest influence. Bro’s always been supportive since I began doing this.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
I like to roll something up first. I just gotta be super relaxed and just kicking it. I try to translate what I'm feeling into my music. I usually end up with dreamy, ethereal sounds, and I like to just chill out and think while it loops.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
I have a few singles I’m excited about, but nothing is close to finished
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
The connections I get to make is the best part. Making music opens up a whole world of collaboration and community.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I want everybody on earth to hear a prod. mister buddha.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
Both. It’s my life, but I can’t be producing 24/7, I’m always looking for the big cheque
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
Right now, my favorite has gotta be Freddie Dredd. He kills it at producing and rapping, and he’s really pushing boundaries with some of his beats.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
It makes me feel spacey and chill. I like zoning out and thinking about life and shit when I bump my music. It also makes me feel nostalgic, it always brings back vivid memories when I play old tracks.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
Producing music keeps me busy during the rough times.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
My favorite collaborated single I’ve dropped is “take me home” with antwaunthvgxd. The beat is crazy, and it’s the only song I’ve rapped on myself. Overall though, I’ve had a great experience working with my bro Dusty. We’ve released a 16 track album, and several other singles. He’s a great dude to work with and he’s always hitting me up for beats.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I make most of my cover art, but I usually just edit pictures I stole online. I try to be creative.
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
All of my music is self produced.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
I’d like to work with KirbLaGoop some day. He’s crazy.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Deliverthecrush. His beats SLAP.
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
The samples I find and how I chop them sets me apart. I want my beats to sound like a wizard brewed them up, and it definitely turns out that way sometimes.
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
Music is everything. I’m always playing or discovering new music, whether I’m at work, studying, or just chilling.
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up?
Not at the moment.
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you?