okodn - interview 42
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
My Artist name is okodn but it’s really just oko. The dn is an acronym for the group I’m in (Distorted Nature).
2. What made you start making music?
My older brothers would make music growing up and I was always around them, so eventually I started writing my own. I didn’t really start taking it seriously until I met Sciirax, my producer, and a friend of mine.
3. Who are your influences in rap or beyond?
I think the first artist that influenced me was Kanye West. Then around 7th grade I found Chief Keef and I fucked with him heavy, he’s my favorite rapper. Also Bones, Chris Travis, Denzel Curry, Wifisfuneral, Travis Scott, it’s a very long list to be honest.
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
I don’t really pay attention to what everyone else is doing. I’m finding my own lane and trying to prosper with this shit. What all these other niggas got going on doesn’t have anything to with me.
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
Just trying to be more consistent and keep improving. I drop music spontaneously lol so being consistent is definitely a goal of mine. Quality over quantity is kind of like a motto for me, dropping hella music all at once or in a small period of time isn’t something I like to do. Having one or two songs that I had to put all my effort and creativity into is better than dropping a bunch of songs that didn’t require much thought yk?
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
My Mom, without her I would not be here.
7. What is your process for recording music ?
Most of time I try to record the song in one take. Getting punched is cool and all but, I like to record in one take to maintain my energy in the track. I feel when I have to punch in it throws me off so if I fuck up I just start over, I don’t fuck up often lol.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
I took a break from writing for awhile but I have a mixtape that I’ve been working on for a long time called korrupted data (prod by Kay Razy). I have an EP out already called lilmickfoley (prod by Sciirax). (;
I wouldn’t call it my best work so far but it’s definitely worth a listen.
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
Just being myself, too many niggas are portraying images to get attention and clout that shit wack especially if you not about what you rap about. Working on different flows, styles, beats and expanding my knowledge is another thing I love about being an artist. You can never have too much knowledge, this game can change in a blink of an eye so I got to keep up and continue to evolve.
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
You can achieve anything you want as long as you put your mind to it, it’s never about how you start, it’s about how you finish. Do what you like to do and don’t care about what people think. Find your own lane and prosper.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
Definitely a full blown lifestyle, I need to get rich, I’m not sure how long I can take working for other people.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
Chief Keef hands down, I been listening to him since 7th grade, he and other artists kind of were the forefathers of this new generation of rap. Dude’s a legend bruh, I always used to rap like him before I began creating my own flows Kmsl.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
I feel proud everytime I make a track, I never thought I would be a rapper and I definitely never thought people would fuck with my music.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
Since my first EP, my music has been dependent on my mood. I write what I’m feeling at the moment so when you hear one of my songs you’re hearing my emotions, my thoughts, my life at that exact moment.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
No one said this shit was easy, there’s been times where I didn’t even want to rap anymore but I always say ‘‘why quit now?’’ rapping is like the only hobby I’ve ever taken seriously in life. Tbh I think it’s my calling.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
When I first worked with Sciirax, I heard his beats and I was like ‘’ Man this is weird lol I’ve never heard some shit like this before’’. He was like “you gone get it bro, just make that shit” then after that I made Chaos Kmsl.
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
Me lol I just post what I feel I don’t care much about cover art for a single but for a project I’d make some hot shit.
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
I can work with anyone but I’ve only made tracks with Sciirax, Kay Razy, and my boy Shawnmartian, and Beatsbybose ( the fukin god)
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
Probably Wifisfuneral I feel like we could do some damage.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Idk lol maybe icytwat
21. do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
Nah but ill keep my supporters updated.
22. for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
I make different shit, none of my tracks sound the same and all my shit raw.
23. at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
It means everything because I put my all into every track and I don’t know what I would’ve been doing right now if it wasn’t for my music.
24. does your family support you with music?
I think they do lol they know I make music but they’ve never really showed any type of support or anything so idek. As long as I’m not in trouble or anything they don’t care.
25 .at the end of the day when it comes to music we are in your world when listening to music by you...what type of vibe does your music bring ?
I bring any vibe, it’s all based on my emotions. So you might get some songs where I sound aggressive or angry, or you’ll get some lit, wavy, party type shit. How I’m feeling at the time is what kind of sound and vibe you’re gonna hear from me.