Tommy Thirteen - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
When I was younger my grandfather told me I was special and meant for something big and always called me Tommy. I looked up too him in every aspect as my role model. When I was 16 I found a picture of him in his old basketball jersey with the number 13 on it, which was the same number I wore in baseball. So when I was trying to figure out a unique stage name I came up with Tommy Thirteen. I’m from Iowa, and nobody really expects that when they hear my music before they find out.
2. What made you start making music?
I was really good at writing and had a lot of troubles staying dedicated to a book or a short story. I wrote poetry and even had a few things published. When I was 18 I started writing music and it just kind of blossomed from there.
3. Who are your influences?
I think my biggest influences would have to be Lil Peep, XXXTENTACION, and Kurt Cobain (rest in peace to them).
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
There’s so much underrated talent with vivid/unique styles and sounds, such as Lexik, Baby Blu, Syk, DBG Young Dub, Offspring, Lil Paris, Jackson Sadinsky, etc. (If I left anyone out don’t be offended lol)
5. What are your goals for 2019 regarding music?
I don’t have much goals regarding for the rest of this year other than working on my album more than I’ve ever worked on anything before, but 2020 I plan on making a stand and performing, networking, and potentially getting a couple songs on the radio.
6. You have 1 person to thank who would it be?
My grandfather, he always believed in me and loved me for the person I was. Rest In Peace poppa I miss you!
7. What is your process for recording music ?
I start out just singing randomly and come up with a sound in mind of a song I think could sound amazing, then I find an instrumental, write everything down, and record it until my throat hurts.
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for?
I’m releasing my single titled ‘Save You’ in about two weeks then my album ‘Indigo Child’ in March!
9. What is your favorite part about being an artist/musician/rapper?
I love when I see I’m getting plays and hearing how it makes people feel. I love when people vibe to my personal problems!
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
I want to act as a role model, and help a bunch of people who’ve been through shit like I have in my life.
11. What are your ambitions with music is this just a hobby or is this a full blown 24/7 lifestyle your embodying?
This is literally my lifestyle and personality, I feel like I was meant for this and I can’t go long without recording.
12. Who is your favorite artist in the rap game right now and why?
Juice WRLD hands down, he’s the greatest freestyle artist this generation has ever seen.
13. what does the music you create make you feel?
It makes me feel good, I use it as my therapy and I see improvement with everything I create.
14. why is music so important and dear to your heart ?
It’s kind of the only way I feel I can speak with my grandfather and when I make a good song I believe he’s up there smiling down on me.
15. Taking this as a passion what works best with you for endeavors you may face (regarding to music)?
Meditating, if I don’t feel confident or at peace I don’t think I can really do much.
16. whats your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
Whisper The Coke God, we made an amazing song titled ‘Don’t Cry’ last year and still to this day I believe that’s the best collab I’ve ever made!
17. who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
I usually make my own but for the two projects coming ahead XX1V has designed and they look hella sharp! His handle is XX1V_ on Instagram and _XX1V on Twitter!
18. who makes most of your beats or production?
I just find random instrumentals, not one person makes the majority of em.
19. who is one artist you wish to work on music with and why?
I want to work with Juice WRLD because his Goodbye and Good Riddance album helped me through an extremely hard time.
20. who is one producer you wish to work with and why?
Nick Mira, that guy makes amazing instrumentals
21 do you have any upcoming shows in the next couple months ?
Not yet but I’ve got a guy throwing my name around as an opener in my state!
22 for people who havent heard of you what sets you apart from other artists?
I’m extremely versatile, I can rap, make pop music, sing for alternative rock music, and I’m able to write things that nobody understands unless they think long and hard about it!
23 at the end of the day what does music mean to you ?
Everything, it’s literally all I feel like I have.
24. Any live shows or projects you got coming up?
Indigo Child album drops on March 5th, 2020 look out for it!
25. Where can the people that checked out this interview find you