Zolani G - Interview
1. Tell us your rap name and where are you from?
1. My stage name is Zolani G, derived from my real name Zolani Gwala. I'm an artist from KwaZulu-Nala in South Africa.
2. What made you start making music?
2. From as far as I can remember I've just always been a fan of music. Because I couldn't sing, rapping felt like the next best thing I could do. I was amazed by how Hip hop artists would sound like they talking, but in a rhythm — a brilliant magic trick.
3. Who are your influences in rap?
3. I listen to a lot of Kendrick Lamar and Drake. Drake made it okay to be emotional for me and Kendrick made it feel okay to be from the hood, but be a "good kid".
4. What is your take on the underground rap scene right now?
4. I think the underground scene right now is quite rich, across the world. The internet has sort of allowed the up and comer to be a star from his living room. Being mainstream is now somewhat of an option rather than a must. And the underground scene is where you'll definitely find gems.
5. What are your goals for the new year regarding music?
5. My goal for this year is to make more good music and reach an even wider audience. But more than anything I just want to grow as an artist this year and really push the envelope.
6. You have 1 person to thank, who would it be?
6. Definitely my late Grandma — she did great raising an orphan. Now this orphan is going to raise the bar and raise a nation of kids through Music. She saved my life...
7. What is your process for recording music ?
7. I'm a writer and deep thinker, so most of the time I get sent a beat and I sit with it at home before going to studio. Sometimes I write in studio — but that's when I want to make a song that's just easy to digest. My recording process differs to what I'm trying to achieve with the song, but one thing for certain, I WILL NOT RECORD IF I'M OKAY EMOTIONALLY!
8. Any upcoming projects or singles fans should be getting ready for this year?
8. We got some projects we working on, can't really speak on what is going to come out first cause we still trying to work out admin. But there's definitely an EP coming and a new single soon.
9. What have you been doing music wise while in COVID times?
9. I've just been learning and studying the industry. COVID put us on a break, so I picked up an article, a book, a documentary, a podcast, etc. I picked up any information to feed the artist in me so when we come back it's Armageddon!
10. What impact do you want to have on the world?
10. I just want to make people happy and comfortable in themselves. Being a person who suffers from Anxiety, I want to be the reason the next kid doesn't have to over analyze themselves. Because someone like him/her believed in himself.
11. What's your best collaboration experience with another artist or producer?
11. My favorite collaborations experience has to be working with a producer named Fnote. We literally will try any Genre and come with some out of the box ideas. We both just love music, which makes it so easy to work with each other cause we not confined.
12. Who does all of your cover art or do you make your own?
12. I make them actually — sometimes we make them with Fnote
13. Who makes most of your beats or production?
13. Fnote is the guy behind my production and engineering.
14. What can we expect next from you ?
14. Expect more music and dabbling in different genres.
15. Link the fans your Twitter & Instagram @ Below so they can follow you!
15. @rapsbyzolani on both IG & Twitter